Many businesses operate fully online, while even bricks-and-mortar businesses conduct online transactions on a regular basis. With the internet so ingrained in business in 2021, every company leader should stay aware of compliance issues for e-commerce in California.
The following are only some issues your business needs to consider in the online sphere:
- Taxes – This includes sales tax, possible import duties and tax, ecotaxes, and more.
- Payment gateways – You need a reliable and compliant payment processing system that has adequate security to protect consumer information.
- Trademarks, patents, and copyrights – Take steps to protect your own e-commerce platforms and site design as your company’s IP. Also, ensure your online business presence is not infringing on another party’s IP.
- Shipping restrictions – There are many restrictions on shipping certain products, and you want to ensure you take steps for lawful shipping of all items.
- Inventory – Will inventory storage violate any zoning or lease restrictions? Do you need to consider dropshipping or another service?
- Age restrictions – Every website must comply strictly with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) without exception.
- Business insurance – Know whether you need to protect your e-commerce enterprise with insurance and which policies to purchase.
- Licenses and permits – Some products require a business license to sell, or possibly a seller’s permit or reseller license.
- PCI compliance – You should comply with all payment card industry data security standards to protect your customers’ information.
- Customer privacy – Make sure that all consumer information collected is in line with California’s extensive privacy and consumer protection laws.
Speak with Our San Francisco Business and Technology Attorney
There is a lot to consider, and errors can be costly. Contact our San Francisco business and technology lawyers from Primum Law Group for guidance and compliance assistance. We help companies throughout Silicon Valley, Redwood City, Palo Alto, Mountain View, San Mateo.